What Do You Want Your Legacy To Be?
Sheesh, this is a hard one, even for me (since I’m prone to think about things like this all the time).
How does one (especially a loquacious one) distill an entire lifetime of lessons into a concise thought? I had to look up the definition of legacy to really wrap my head around this question.
Legacy: something transmitted by or received from an ancestor or predecessor or from the past
I’d like to pass on the importance of being an eternal student. This life is so vast, so precious, and it’s filled with so many things to learn, to know, to understand. One of my greatest joys has been learning -- about life, spirituality, people and their cultures, business and how different roles and skill sets come together to grow and support it, motherhood, and the list goes on.
When I am confronted by an obstacle, I soothe myself with the thought, “Well, I can learn about it. Perhaps in the learning, I can find the solution or someone who can help me overcome this thing.” This has helped me reinvent myself several times in my career. I have lived many lives and been able to rock with people from all over because I always try to take the approach of a student, learning and soaking it all in.
There are so many things I want to teach Lyric and I have the fear that perhaps I won’t have enough time to do so. My hope is to write down my lessons so that she can use them when she goes about her life, making decisions (and, ultimately deciding what is best for her life).
Here are some of them:
- Never stop learning.
- Be open minded so that you can find commonalities in everything.
- Don’t just blindly follow stuff because that’s what you’ve always done or what you’ve been taught. Put your beliefs thru the fire of examination and due diligence. They will either burn up or be further strengthened.
- If your mind is full of everything you think you know, you won’t be able to input new stuff.
- Love everyone as you are so loved by Life itself. Understand that love is more of a verb than it is a noun. Love forgives. Love heals. Love is compassionate. Love is truthful. Love uplifts. Love rejoices.
- Reserve the right to edit your life as you choose. If you don't like where you are and what you're doing, change. You have more power than you probably are giving yourself credit for.
- Time is your most precious resource. You cannot get it back and you don’t know how much of it you really have.
- Take care of yourself -- body, mind, and soul. Your self love shows others how to treat you.
- Be careful who you share your dreams with. Most people offer advice from what’s possible for them, not what’s possible for you.
- You’ll encounter bullies in life. Don’t let them punk you or talk you out of your self-worth.
- Stand up for those who can’t stand up for themselves.
- Don't blow people off or try to invalidate their experience just because what they're saying hasn't been your experience. Yes, black lives matter.
- Everyone has the right to his or her own opinion. You may not like it or agree with it. However, if you want your freedom of speech, you can't take away someone else's.
- Remember that history is written by the winners. Always look for all sides of the story.
- You are worthy. You are enough. You deserve what you desire.
- Don’t stuff your feelings in a drawer because you don’t want to deal. Feel so that you can heal.
- Understand that everyone was not raised like you were raised and that they are all dealing with all sorts of stuff that you probably will never know about. Have compassion.
- Stay open, even if you want to shut down.
- Do no harm, but take no shit.
- Walk away from anything that does not serve your highest good.
- You co-create your life with the Universe. God will take care of the details.
- Everything begins with a thought.
- Focus on the solutions. Enough people will be focused on the problem.
- You live in a world of infinite possibilities. Remember that when you find yourself thinking in absolutes.
- When in doubt, dance it out. In other words, have fun. Joy is your birthright.
- Don’t let the word “should” dictate the majority of what you do. Do stuff because you truly want to.
- Always examine and continually cleanse the filter thru which you are perceiving your life.
Now it’s your turn. Comment below and let me know what you want to pass on to the future generation.
I’m cheering for you. Like the sage you are.
From the Front Row,
P/S Don't forget to check out my new blog, New Moms Rule, for all things motherhood. Share it with your favorite mamas!